Our guiding premise at Trafalgar Square Books is “For the Good of the Horse”…we try to hold ourselves and our books and DVDs to this standard in an effort to make the world a better place for horses and humans to work and play together.
Sometimes what’s “good for the horse” is a treat or two (or three, in many cases…)! And what better way to show your best buddy you love him than nutritious, heart-shaped goodies on Valentine’s Day? TSB Managing Director Martha Cook and Promotions Director Julie Beaulieu played Horseman’s Test Kitchen, whipping up these yummy Valentine’s treats for their horses.
Check these out…great horse treats for the four-legged residents of your home or boarding barn, just in time for Valentine’s Day!
TSB’S I HEART MY HORSE TREATS
- 1 cup carrot grated
- 1 apple grated
- 2 tbs corn oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- a ground up peppermint or candy cane can be a nice addition
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a cookie sheet (or heart-shaped cupcake tin) well.
- In a large bowl, mix carrot, apple, corn oil, and molasses together.
- Fold in salt, oats, and flour until well mixed.
- Scrape the mixture onto the cookie sheet. It will be sticky. Use a sheet of wax paper between the “dough” and a rolling pin and roll out the mixture until it’s between a 1/8 and ¼ thick. Score dough with a knife to make it easier to break apart into squares after baking. Or, roll dough out in the same manner on the cookie sheet and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to create Valentine’s-Day-appropriate shapes. Do not remove the bits between the shapes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown.
- Let cool and then using a spatula and table knife break apart square or shapes. The extra “bits” make good treats, too!
Everyone at TSB hopes you and your horse(s) have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
Love your dog, too? CLICK HERE for our great Valentine’s Day Dog Treats!